About the Blog



This blog is published in the interest of Design + my personal experiences as I embark on the next stage of my career as a Furniture Design Intern at Paul Brooks Design.
Paul Brooks Design is a well established design consultancy ideally placed in the centre of Europe, just on the border of France & Germany. I intend to post as often as my time permits and will do my best to keep all information interesting; avoiding posts of the "I just had a cup of tea" nature like the plague.

I hope undergrads and like minded people find the information posted useful and inspiring. Please feel free to email me about anything Design + related.



Sunday 9 October 2011

France & Germany in one sitting (+)

This weekend has been a great opportunity to soak up some culture and investigate the contrast between Strasbourg, the principal City of the Alsace region in France, and Kelh, its brutalist German brother.
Paul Brooks Design studio is based in Kelh, on the German side of the river Rhine. During WWII Kelh was occupied by the French and named a suburb of Strasbourg.  The French destroyed the traditional German architecture, which was later replaced by a brutalist modern aesthetic when the Germans reinstated their authority and reclaimed the town in the early 50s.  One building in particular, on the very outskirts of Germany, stands tall, peering over the bridge into Strasbourg, a reminder the German spirit will not be broken. 
People in Kelh enjoy a ten minute wait before crossing roads, an attitude applied to a more relaxed pace of living, and as a result I didn't see anybody shuffling their feet staring at the floor, a common sight here in London.

A five minute walk and three hundred yards over the bridge - which acts as a cultural transformation machine - and you’re in Strasbourg, France. This beautiful, historic, world heritage site serves as a bridge of unity between Franco-German cultures and is home to an inspiring and stimulating atmosphere.
People in Strasbourg are respectful and understanding of the British tourist and so long as you are prepared to try French, they are a quite happy to explain your mistakes in English. I had no problem ordering food, drinking booze or even having a casual chat. I’ve got some work to do in terms of learning the languages but I’m assured I will be able to get by.
The experience was a culture shock and an inspiring change from the norm, both cultures live by completely different ideals and practice a refreshing and diverse attitude towards day to day living. I’ve enjoyed some great meals, beers and chats in Strasbourg and I can’t wait to get stuck into work in Kehl.





1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lovely place Adam, hope all is going well and keep us posted! Cheers

    ReplyDelete